Friday, February 22, 2008

Who Knew? A History Lesson on the US Penny

We already know that I am not smarter than a particular 5th grader ,but last night when I realized that I am not smarter than a particular Kindergartner, it was a little disconcerting, alarming, demoralizing...(insert adjective here) to say the least. Now, I have never been much into history and have no desire to be a historian, much to my father-in-law's dismay, but as an American who has spent years collecting pennies in a wine jar and even more years spending these shiny copper coins, you would think I would know a thing or two about our U.S. currency/coins.

Um-no!

Take a look at this picture:

What do you see?

Tails, the back of a penny, the Lincoln Memorial, 12 pennies? All good answers and ones that proudly and quickly came to my mind.

Ok, let's get a little closer:


How about now? Anything else?


My pride quickly diminishes as I think that this is a trick question in an attempt to wipe away any dignity that I have left.


Oh, you need me to get closer?




Do you see it now? No? You need me to get even closer yet?


Ok, closer, closer... (prepare yourselves)


There it is! (pay no attention to that litle microchip that is taking away from the focal point of my lesson here, it's the only picture I could find that actually shows what I didn't know existed.)


Who knew that there was actually a tiny picture of Lincoln sitting inside the Lincoln Memorial on the back of a penny? Please tell me you did not know this, paleeaasse!! Tell me it isn't so. (that was a rhetorical question, by the way, you didn't have to rub it in!)


The only saving grace here is that my husband, who is much smarter than me, especially when it comes to U.S. history, did not know this either. But now, our cover has been stripped away likes stripes off of a Zebra. The wizard behind the curtain has been exposed. Our 5 year old son now knows that his parents do not, in fact, know everything!


I guess the silver lining here is that our son is getting a quality education and learning more than we, his parents, can teach him! I guess this does not speak highly of the education that both my husband and I received at Charles E. Riley Elementary (yes, we went to Elementary school together). Sigh!

I'll just be behind this curtain if you need me, pretending that I know everything and I'd appreciate it if you would join me!

7 comments:

Amy said...

I did know this already.

But it is only because my kids learned it when they were in kindergarten also. And they came home and told me.

Don't feel bad. Our kids are all smarter than us. It is just nature's way of making sure the species survives.

At least that's how I justify it, anyway!

Gengirl said...

I hear there is also some hidden things on the dollar bill. Just so you are prepared when he comes home from school Monday! The reason I know this....a guy at work had his 6 year old come home and show him.....

Anonymous said...

I showed this to my husband, thinking that finally I knew something he didnt...
Ahh, but he already knew about it!
I had no clue that it was ever on there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Now I can get ahead of my great-nephew (turning five in March). How wonderful to be such a smart "Auntie 'Chel". Now what's on the dollar bill????

Anonymous said...

Way to Go Austin ! My Austin is learning all about money too.

Miss you all !

Erica

Irene said...

I never knew that! It is funny, but now that my oldest is in Kindergarten, I am actually learning new things as well.

Thanks for the trivia!

duchess said...

It's funny that you brought this up. I just made this discovery a couple of weeks ago while doing a game with the children at church.
Until then..I had no idea so don't worry, you're not alone.