Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Wordy Wednesday-Life Lessons

My computer has been acting up lately and I have not been able to check my e-mail or blog since Sunday! I threatened to throw the computer out the window but it decided to cooperate today so I'll hold off until it acts up again. Speaking of tempermental electronics... I got my camera back today- yippee! They had to replace the central powering unit, whatever that is. Sounds expensive so I sure am glad that it was still under warranty. So anyway, since I just got my camera back I don't have any new pictures to share but I wanted to share this beautiful picture that my sister-in-law took last summer in the Adirondack mountains. She will probably hate me for sharing this but the circumstances that led to this breathtaking photo and the life lessons that followed are worth sharing...

This is an edited version of what my sister-in-law wrote about this picture ... "We were on our way out the door to a dog show, I was tired because it was 6 AM and I hadn't slept well. I was a little grumpy because we had to drive an hour to get to the dog show, it was cold, and Kenny asked me to get back out of the warm car to take a picture of the "pretty steam coming off the water." I almost didn't do it, but at the last minute decided it would only take a minute to make him happy. Now that picture means so much to me. It means -- Take the time to appreciate what you have. It means -- Quit bitching about the little stuff" and so much more...

There are so many things in our everyday lives that prevent us from taking time to appreciate the beauty that surrounds us, whether it is the steam coming off a picturesque lake, the sound of a babbling brook or waves crashing, the joy of watching a family of deer grazing, a beautiful sunset or a flower blooming... All of these are missed opprtunities, lost moments, if we don't allow ourselves the freedom to enjoy them. Now, this almost lost picture serves as a reminder to appreciate what we have and the beauty that surrounds us! Thanks for sharing this with me Amy!

This reminds me of the "nature of wisdom- to recognize the brevity of our existence, acknowledge our connection with each other and with the rest of life, and to regard each day as the precious and irreplaceable gift that it is" (Tim McNulty)

6 comments:

Alexis Jacobs said...

What a great shot. And I love the message with it. Happy ww!

Diana said...

Beautiful picture and sentiments!

MomOf4 said...

Such a pretty picture! Happy WW!

Melissa said...

The picture is just breathtaking...is Amy a professional photographer? And the words..just inspiring.

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

I find this picture breathtaking too. Amy is not a professional photographer and used a point and shoot camera to capture this picture. Amazing, isn't it?

Amy said...

Wow! Thanks for all of the compliments on my photos everyone :) It was an amazing weekend with my boys and my parents. I will treasure the memories for a long time.