Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Slacker

I know, I know, I've been a major slacker lately but I have really good reasons. Let's see where to start...

First I was having a lot of pains in my side and back. I went to the doctor and had a CT scan which showed that I had a cyst rupture and had another one that was twisting on my right ovary. Lovely! There is not much they can do for cystic ovaries other than watch, wait and treat the pain so I just waited it out. I've had cysts before and had some that have ruptured and usually the pain lasts for about 24-48 hours but the next week I was still having a lot of pain in my back and having spasms so I went back to the doc and they did an MRI which showed that I also have a herniated/bulging lumbar disk that is pushing towards my nerve. I was in a car accident a few years ago where I first injured my back and I must have reinjured it somehow. Again, not much they can do for that other than physical therapy so I will get started with PT once we get settled. Settled you ask? Oh, let me explain.

We finally got our orders and found out that we were headed to Hawaii. Paradise right? Maybe for vacation but the reality of living in HI on a daily basis is not so much. Besides the cost of living in HI and the fact that the locals are not very fond of military folks living in HI, the schools leave a lot to be desired. The school on base had a rating of 2 (it was not a Dept. of defense school) and the average class size is 34 kids!!!! On top of that there is a huge meth problem in HI and the traffic is INSANE. Both the Hubs and I did a lot of research and talked to folks who are stationed there and who have lived there before. Most of them did not have very many good things to say about living in HI as a military family. I also feared that I would have trouble finding a job anywhere outside of Honolulu which would give me about an hour and a half commute one way with traffic which meant that Sprite would spend 11-12 hours a day in child care- uh NO!!!!!! With all of these concerns and the concern that Sprout would not get the education and speech services that he needs, we made the decision that the kids and I would go back to NC while the Hubs went to HI. They were deploying in late Spring anyway so I did not want to be so far away from family and friends while my husband was deployed overseas.

So, with 3 weeks until graduation, I headed up to NC to look for a house and a job. While I was up there we got the news that the Hubs was able to get his orders changed to NC-Yippee!!!!!!!! That sure lifted about a thousand pounds off my shoulders.

So, needless to say it has been a bit of a whirlwind and an emotional rollercoaster but looks like it is all going to work out for the best. Now, I just need to find a job, find a house, pack and move in the next 3 weeks.

Wish me luck and please forgive me if I am absent from the blogosphere for a bit!

4 comments:

Katie said...

I was wondering/ worrying where ya'll were. I'm so glad it's working out for the best! Sometimes the Army will surprise you. :) Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Prayers do work after all....Mother Earth/God/Goddess/Mother Mary/The Great Spirit...prayed to them all!
We thank you for taking care of Fam family. Blessings.

Gengirl said...

You gonna come see me now? :-)

Amy said...

Are you going to change the name of your blog?