Friday, November 28, 2008

A Lot To Be Thankful For


Sprout really wanted to make a cornucopia this year so I found this one at a craft store and let him fill it. He designed it all by himself with a pumpkin, gourds, berries and leaves! He was very proud of it! It was our centerpiece and decorating it will be a new tradition for us from now on along with our tablecloth.


Every year when we have Thanksgiving dinner at our house, we ask everyone to sign their name and/or write a small thought, then my sister-in-law, Amy, graciously sews it for me (since I don't know how to sew) with a differnt color thread each year. She then uses the same color thread to write the year along the edge. This tradition was passed down from Toby's Aunt Kathy and is one that I really love. It is fun to look back over the years and see who was sitting at our table and what they wrote. There are well wishes to Toby when he was deployed, wishes to unborn children when I was pregnant, signatures from my brother's ex-girlfriends who is now married, and misspelled words from friends who had a little too much wine!! It is a great conversation piece and I look forward to pulling it out every year and remembering how much I have to be thankful for, especially these 2 munchkins...

Sprout
Sprite
Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Amy said...

I like your new centerpiece. Tell Sprout I think he did a great job! I am done sewing my tablecloth already so go ahead and send me yours. Maybe if I sew it earlier than 11 1/2 months after the signing date then I won't have as much trouble with the marker!!! Send it to me this week and I'll try to have it back to you by Christmas. That'll be my goal this year ;)

The Smith Boys said...

I wish I was on your tablecloth. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

Sprout did a great job! My turn next year to sign the tablecloth. Wonderful job Amy on the embroidery.

Anonymous said...

I love this tradition! You girls are so smart for doing this! How fun to look back each year.
: )Joanna

S.S.R.Z.M. Himes said...

Hey Lisa Lou Hoo and family! I check out your blog every now and then and catch up on your adorable kids=)
I LOVE the table cloth tradition totally am stealing it for my Christmas table starting this year- I wish I had heard about that 13 years ago!!! Plus I am thinking of maybe even making one for my Cookie exchange table that I have had for the last 3 years. I wonder if Amy will sew mine!?!