Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Peep Toads

Ok, ok so they are not really called peep toads but that is what I called them as a little girl. They are actually called Spring Peepers and are not even toads. Gasp! They are small tree frogs- but as a kid we always called them peep toads because they go, peep, peep, peep. If you click on the link you can listen to their sound and see why I love them so much. We lived in the country when I was a little girl and I loved falling asleep with my window open to the music of the peep toads-errr- I mean Spring Peepers. In case you were wondering, "Spring peepers are nocturnal frogs, so they are mostly heard but not seen. They are especially easy to hear due to their extremely loud mating call which gives them the name "peeper," (or peep toad!!!!!!) but it is often hard to pinpoint the source of the sound, especially when many are peeping at once." I never actually saw a peep toad- Spring Peeper- geez, but I knew they were there, in the marshy woods just beyond our old house. It was almost like they were magical little creatures letting us know that Spring had sprung after a long harsh winter. And for the record- they will always be peep toads to me!!!!

0 comments: