Thursday, March 13, 2008

Can Somebody Please Explain This To Me?

How is it that when I call our medical clinic here on base at 7:00 am, right when they open, and am the 13th caller, that they have NO appointments left for the day. You mean to tell me that the 12 callers in front of me took ALL of the appointments for the day. So I guess this means that there is only 1 Doctor who works like 2.3 hours. So, I ask if I can make an appointment for the next morning and am told they don't make advance appointments - I will have to try to call back the next morning at 7 a.m. HELLO? McFly? That is what I just did and you have NO appointments! Did I miss something here? Is there a secret handshake or something I need in order to get an appointment... So, she asks me what is wrong with him. Ok, you asked lady...

He has been running a fever of up to 104 since Monday.
He started vomitting on Tuesday.
On Wednesday, he looked like he had pink eye and was complaining that his eye was "leaking."
His lymph nodes are huge!
He is complaining that his his cheeks and ears hurt.
His tonsils are SO big I can barely see past them.
This morning he had diarrhea-in his underwear-three times (correction, make that 5 times now)- because he couldn't make it to the bathroom in time.
Would you like me to continue?

At this point, she passes me along to a triage nurse.

After going through all of his symptoms again, the nurse informs me that they have no appointments but she can authorize a visit to the ER. Yeah that is just what I want to do with a sick five year old and a strong-willed almost 2 year old who hates being confined in any way shape or form! I said, I really don't think he needs to go to the emergency room...and am interupted by the nurse who informs me that I will have to call back at 7 a.m. the next morning for an appointment then- goodbye!

So this morning at 6:59, I was on the phone, ready and waiting to make an appointment. I was caller number 4 and when the lady tried to tell me that they had no appointments- lord help her, the Momma Bear came out of me like Sprout's diarrhea! Miraculously, or maybe it was out of fear for her life, she found an appointment at 1:20 this afternoon!

Now, can somebody please explain this to me because I just cannot make sense of it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes me ashamed of my profession. It seems that not only in medicine else in life today, everyone would rather try to obstruct than to find a way to help and assist. What a travesty you had to go through. Next time, put him on the phone and both of you start crying....with Sprite howling in the background. ;*)

Amy said...

Does your post do online appointments?

Sarah said...

Been there and I mean that. Just happened to me yesterday. I talked to the nurse, he said I have to make an appt for tomorrow (today) and we got in at 9:40am. They didn't seem to busy ;-) Matter of fact, the nurse who was taking Bean's vitals yawned in my face about 5 times. I felt like stuffing another breakfasy burrito down her throat.

Anyway, God Bless the good one's (momtoo) and God help the hmmm...not so good ones.

Hugs

Sarah said...

Been there and I mean that. Just happened to me yesterday. I talked to the nurse, he said I have to make an appt for tomorrow (today) and we got in at 9:40am. They didn't seem to busy ;-) Matter of fact, the nurse who was taking Bean's vitals yawned in my face about 5 times. I felt like stuffing another breakfasy burrito down her throat.

Anyway, God Bless the good one's (momtoo) and God help the hmmm...not so good ones.

Hugs

Busymama Karen said...

Lucky for me we have a great pediatrician who even calls us personally to follow up. His nurse is great too. Don't know what I would do without them. There are good ones like mine and Momtoo but you have to look. I interviewed 3 pediatrician before finding the right one when I was pregnant with my first child. It seemed crazy at the time but well worth it. Hope Sprout is feeling better.