Friday, May 9, 2008

Filch It Friday- Secret, Secret, I've Got a Secret

"Nothing weighs on us so heavily as a secret." Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695) French poet.

There are those people out there who claim to be open books but I would wager that most of us have a chapter or two tucked away for safe keeping. Some of us may have shared our secrets with a select few true and lifelong friends to whom we can turn when the burdens seem to heavy to carry alone, others may only be safe in the hands of God. Where ever your secrets may lie, take comfort in knowing that you are not alone. "PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard" (from the website). Some are funny, others are painful, some are silly and others are poignant- but all are thought provoking and provide a glimpse into the human spirit that surrounds us.

I learned about PostSecret after reading Greeblemonkey's post entitled "What's Your Secret?" where she shared a glimmer of one of her own secrets that she carries around and was reminded of it again when my sister-in-law, Amy, and I were talking about some of the recent postcards. If your secrets are eating away at you because you keep them bottled inside, afraid of their exposure, know that you don't have to carry the burden alone. Try releasing your secrets to PostSecret. They say releasing your secret can be a cathartic experience and you may just help someone else feel less alone in the process.

And yes, I have secrets of my own but I am not going to share them here. Who knows, maybe I've sent one of my secrets to PostSecret. Head on over to PostSecret.com and scroll through the postcards; you'll never know if one is mine or not! ;) You will probably be touched in one way or another though and find that reading the secrets of others elicits emotions within you. You may even find a piece of yourself in some of the secrets.


"The time has come at last - secretsecret - I've got a secret

To throw away this mask - secretsecret - I've got a secret

Now everyone can see - secretsecret - I've got a secret

My true identity - ..." (Styx)





1 comments:

Amy said...

It is absolutely amazing to me how powerful this is.