Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Training Day

My poor aching body!!!!!

Today was my first training session with a trainer and OMG I worked muscles that I didn't know existed. If today is any indication, I am in for a world of hurt and will be whipped into shape in no time (or at least I hope so). I swear the woman is a contortionist and she can do some crazy things with balls. Exercise balls people- get your minds out of the gutter-geesh!

She had me doing some lower back and ab exercises today and for a minute I thought maybe I had signed up to be in the circus. I was on a large ball (just stop it now) which was on top of a bench which was on the floor, with my legs in the air. Not a pretty picture I assure you- especially when I lost my balance, almost fell off the ball and kicked her in the head trying to save myself. All of this while two guys stood by and watched the train wreck. I so wish I was kidding!!

Anyway, since I know some of you are wondering why I have enlisted the help of a trainer I will tell you. While I was fairly successful losing about 10-12 pounds on my own by watching my diet and doing a combination of circuit training and cardio (a.k.a the abs diet), I have been doing the same few routines for 8 weeks+ now and was at a standstill. They say you should change up your routine every 6-8 weeks but I didn't know what to do next. So I hired a trainer to work with me in developing a new routine which includes weight training, core/balance exercises, abs and stretching. I only want to lose about another 5 pounds or so but would like a little more definition than what I have now and just want to be healthier/stronger in general.

I am certainly not a health nut but have definitely let things slide over the years. It seems after having my second baby and hitting the 30 year milestone back to back put the breaks on my metabolism. That coupled with a bout of depression and worsening eating habits left me feeling pretty lousy. But a trip home was the wake up call I needed.

Both of my parents are very unhealthy and seeing them unable to be active grandparents saddened me. My Dad is pushing 400 pounds and has developed diabetes. My Mom is falling apart from years of abuse to her body and her teeth are literally just falling out as a result. They both have a list of medical conditions/problems longer than my son's Christmas list (most of which, if not all, are /were preventable). And the worst part is that they are both under the age of 60! I know this is not a pretty picture but that is the point. These are my genes and this is what I have in store if I do not make some changes today. I want to be able to play on the floor with my grand kids, pick them up for bear hugs, pull them in a wagon, push them on the swings...

I guess motivation comes in many forms but this (coupled with a few other things) was the motivation I needed to become a healthier/happier me!

My next training session is on Friday so wish me luck. And a bit of coordination wouldn't hurt either. Now if you don't mind, I need to go rub down with some Icy Hot and hit the sack! (You people really oughta be ashamed of yourselves; this is totally a G-rated blog!) ;)

1 comments:

The Smith Boys said...

I love this post! I love the honesty of it. I want to hug you - even though you don't hug! Ha! And by the way...the part about the two people watching you fall off the ball reminds me of your bad luck with the elevator at the church! Ha!