Friday, November 9, 2007

Mediocrity is My Excellence

So many days I strive to do more, give more, be more, often struggling with feelings of mediocrity.

Some days I long to be the June Cleaver of Moms, the ones who: cook 3 course meals, from scratch, with fresh vegetables picked from the garden, make their children’s clothes from the cotton they spin, make quilts by hand from family heirlooms, make homemade jams and pies from recipes past down from one generation to the next… but I am not and never will be.

Other days I long to possess a natural gift- the gift of writing words so eloquent that readers weep in response, the gift of capturing photographs so stunning that they leave viewers breathless, the gift of creating music so beautiful that it moves the spirit of those listening… but I do not and never will.

But today as I sat in the backyard playing in the rocks with my daughter I realized that she does not care that I did not pick her carrots from a garden and puree them, that she is not wearing a dress that I painstakingly stitched by hand, that the quilt in her crib is not made from family heirlooms, that her jam comes from a jar that says Smuckers…

To her my words are eloquent, my photographs are stunning and my music is beautiful! And that-that is what really matters!

So, today…
Today I am content with mediocrity. Today I accept mediocrity as my excellence!

4 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so happy for you. I accepted it about myself a long time ago and it's a much easier and happier way to go. No need to stress about that stuff.

Anonymous said...

With this post, I believe that you demonstrated your gift for writing words so eloquent that your readers weep in response.

So beautiful. I believe you are far beyond mediocrity.

Anonymous said...

Um, the June Cleaver types weren't really as happy as they looked to be on TV. Did you know that during the 1950's there were record numbers of anti-depressants ("mother's little helper")prescribed? Many of the housewives were quite unhappy with their situations, so their husbands and docs simply sedated them! So, it's no wonder June Cleaver, Donna Reed and all their little pals looked so happy--they were drugged up the whole time!!! And not on the good stuff we have today, either! ;-) I've GOT to get us a copy of The Feminine Mystique. I agree with Karen Beth -- you are far beyond mediocrity and your pictures and words leave lasting impressions for us all. I love you.

Su Crutchfield said...

Yes, perfectionism is a hard habit to break, isn't it? Don't feel too bad, though - I don't think June Cleaver actually grew her own carrots! It always just cracked me up that she cooked and vacuumed in pumps and an A-line skirt. Pu-leease!